Friday, September 19, 2014

10 Songs I've Been Listening to a Bunch

Here's 10 songs I've listened to a bunch recently.


1. Void- Who Are You (From 'Void/Faith Split' 1982)


One of those indescribably good hardcore songs. So catchy and weird. Who are you, why am I here?


2. Hickey- Hickey Blvd (From 'Hickey,' 1997)


Trying to explain the allure of Hickey is tricky. It's sloppy as fuck, but god damn is it brilliant songwriting.

3. Rudimentary Peni- 1/4 Dead (From 'Death Church,' 1983)




The first time I had ever heard this band was via this song, and I was fucking hooked by the intro bass line. It's very dark and commanding. It's got a great refrain too (three quarters of the world are starving, the rest are dead)

4. Underground Railroad to Candyland- Jimmy V (From 'Know Your Sins,' 2011)



The end of this song is so tight. You'll be singing along.


5. Soft Kill- From This Point On


These guys really nail the 80's post punk/new wave thing, which is oftentimes done poorly I think (looking at you Cold Cave and Merchandise.) This is my shit though. 


6. Henry's Dress- Treefort (1994)


One of those songs that legit calms you down. Her voice is so good. A perfect twee band to get stoned to. 
Sidenote: The singer of this band kinda sounds like her, I think.


7. Skip James- Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues (1931)


One of my favorite songs of all time, honestly. Hauntingly beautiful.


8. Joy Division- Twenty Four Hours (From 'Closer,' 1980)


Joy Division is my favorite band. I've mentally explored every inch of sound within the frequencies of every single Joy Division song, so to speak, but for whatever reason my interest in this particular song peaked only recently. I don't need to sing the praises of the band, but needless to say this is such a fucking powerful song.


9. The Creation- Painter Man (Single, 1966)



All things considered, kind of a silly little 60's garage song. But I'll tell you, once you hear that chorus for the first time it'll be stuck in your head. 



10. Modern English-Melt With You (From 'After the Snow', 1982)


My favorite love song. Never get tired of this one.



1 comment:

  1. Great list! I really liked Henrys Dress and Hickey. Have you heard The Coneheads or Big Zit, i think they would be right up your ally.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete